While I still have to organize and clean out the rest of the "barn" itself, I am done with the barn extension.
After the posts had set enough to work with, I added cross supports and beams connected to the pipes on the "barn". Then cut off the tops of the posts with my baby chainsaw.
Then it was time to clear off the stuff holding down the spare greenhouse panels and start putting up the roof.
It was a challenge to get them up there. They are not terribly heavy, but they are pretty unwieldy at about 6 ft by 16 ft.
The rain sent me packing in just after getting the roofing done though, so I didn't get much more on Thursday, and I felt pretty surprised when I ended up more sore than on the post chiseling day... maybe because of having to drag this table saw weighing a ton around twice to get to the pipes inside for the roof rafters. And that ladder itself seems to weigh a couple hundred pounds by the twentieth time I move it around.
Great progress was made Friday though...
I made large side-swing doors for the farthest two sections for getting to firewood easily (about one cord should fit in each section). I was torn about how close to have the doors to the ground because I hated to think about needing to shovel a bunch of snow and ice each time to get to the wood and if any grass or plants grew, it could also be a problem. I fixed this issue by cutting the doors short and placing them high so they will swing over snow that isn't too deep. However, this would leave a big gap for animals and snow and melt-water to come in underneath, so I used the paneling and dug it a few inches into the ground below the door. It should keep out most of the moisture and snow.
I seriously need to do the same thing on the barns other side since the snow melt is probably a lot of what caused water damage to stuff sitting in the barn, but it will need to be dug deep as the snow builds up on that side a lot during the winter. Fun... more digging through rock. Maybe I will just put everything up on cinder-blocks instead of little bricks.
The hinges are just plain door hinges backed with wood to keep the screws from pulling out of the plastic panels. However, I did not have any latches for the big side doors. After thinking a bit on it, I came up with some peg-latches made from cup hooks bent into eyelets and some nails with a half of a plastic drywall anchor pushed on. It may look strange, but it works.
As for today's work... I currently have about a cord of wood and I moved it (one little cart load at a time) from the "barn" to the far firewood section and put down bricks and then landscape timbers for it to set on. I was sad to find that most of my landscape timbers that I thought I would use for this, are rotten from sitting on the ground. So I only have a few good ones to use, but keeping them up on bricks should prevent them from rotting and attracting carpenter ants in the future. (And worms. There were worms in my landscape timbers.)
Sadly it wasn't until I was moving the very last little blue cart-full of firewood that I realized I should have used the chainsaw and cut the ends of the timbers to fit exactly in one section instead of overlapping into the second section a little ways. That way I could be sure to fit one cord per section and it would be more even and I would not mix up the older cord and the new cord where they meet. Oh well... sure wasn't going to unstack the whole thing and do it again.
For the closest (3rd) section, I did a solid panel on the side and a nice door on the end with sliding latch. After raking, weed-wacking, and raking again (something that had to be done for each section), I put down some patio bricks in that section and will use it for a dedicated space for all the lawn/landscaping tools (shovels, rakes, etc) as well as my mower. Of course, if we ever get a really big load of wood again, I might have to move the lawn stuff back to the barn, but I doubt we will get more than a cord at a time and alternate between two cords.
I had one yard tool rack that I took from the shed and made another one so it is all nice, organized, and mostly off the floor. And if you are wondering... I spray painted the outer panel black to help prevent sun-damage to the tools. Hopefully it will help, though I ran out of paint and may need to get some more. Um… and YES we are ignoring my terribly crooked stack of wood… unless you want to come re-stack it.
The little lawnmower fit with so much extra room that I was excited to see if my big cart (who's tires need replaced) could fit next to it. But no. Not even close. The area will definitely fit one or the other but not both.
And that is that...
Well... except needing to clean out the rest of the barn, rearrange everything in the barn and shed, and possibly add panels dug into the ground on the other side of the "barn" to keep snow-melt out. Soooo much fun, I can't wait!